Sunday, April 26, 2009

Dance Recital

So Layla had a dance recital on Saturday and while I love watching her dance can I just say that I do not like watching the three, four, and five year old girls dance... and there are A LOT of them! Yes, yes, they're cute but really... we're sitting on bleachers for almost two hours so I could do without watching them twirl their fingers in their hair and wave at their parents instead of actually doing the dance. I know their parents think it's the cutest thing ever but it's obnoxious after 45 minutes of it over and over and over again. I do realize that if it was Layla I would think it was adorable but... well... it's not therefore I find it irritating as hell.

Now let's talk about the women sitting in front of me that were not only wearing entirely too much perfume they were wearing stinky, overpowering, floral perfume that smelled exactly like the flowers in the Spring that cause my eyes to water and itch and generally stop my ability to breathe like a normal person. I'm guessing these woman knew where they were going. They knew that they would be in a school gymnasium crammed with hundreds of people in very close quarters but still, they decided to assault us (yep, I said assault) with their choice of fragrance. I was blindsided. I never saw it coming. There I was, minding my own business when two women (Grandma's to a little dancer) came and sat right in front of me. Someone used their surly teenage kids to save the spots for their Grandma's so when they arrived the teenagers (who, surprisingly, smelled just fine) left and the wicked, smelly ladies took their places. The show was about to start, my seats were great, and the place was packed. Stuck is what I was.

So thank you old ladies. Thanks for making me watch my daughter dance through itchy, watery eyes. Next year I'm going to bring one of those little hand held, battery powered fans and if you sit in front of me again be prepared to have wind at your backs for the entire show.

3 comments:

Kathy's Klothesline said...

Pictures, I want pictures. Not of you and your itchy watery eyes...I want to see my granddaughter in her dancing glory.

Unknown said...

Look at her perfect form, she's awesome!

SJT said...

Seriously!!!! She does have good form. GOOD FORM! Amazing. I <3 her.