Thursday, April 9, 2009

My husband is an old man

So there's this tree. It's like a magnet. It sucks all the neighborhood kids to it and makes them want to climb it. It's not a big tree... kind of perfect for kids to learn how to climb a tree. The branches are low and fairly sturdy. There's no great height to it so if one of the kids were to fall they would be more scared than hurt. It's definitely not my favorite tree because while it's pretty, it's flowers make me feel like my head is going to explode and makes my eyes water the entire time it is in bloom.

Nick, however, loves this tree and any tree in our yard. The minute he sees a little hand try to grab a branch, the words "Get off the tree!" come flying out of his mouth.

I wonder... did he never climb trees when he was little? I'm betting he climbed many. Did he get yelled at to get down? Maybe... maybe not. Is he worried they're going to break the tree? Umm... it's a tree... I doubt the five year old neighbor (or our eight year old daughter for that matter) is going to break it. If a branch does break, is that the end of the world? I think... no.

Well Nick... I let them climb it when you're not here.

It feels good to get that off my chest. Thank God for blogs.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Um, I don't mind little kids hanging in the tree. It's when older kids hang on little tree branches. Like Gage in the crabapple tree...and I already knew.

Jilly said...

Were you just waiting all day for me to turn the comments back on because I JUST turned them back on :)

SJT said...

Ha ha....you changed the title. You can't help yourself. I love it!

Kathy said...

Hey neighbor - thanks for letting my 5yo be a kid! hahahahah Although, when I have to tell him to stop, I just put the blame on Nick. (which does not seem to have any affect on the adoration of Nick)

Unknown said...

That's because kids see through this farce of Nick as a crotchety old man. They know my awesomeness.