Friday, February 20, 2009

Just Call Me Chicken Shit

So first let me just say that I just googled chicken shit because I didn't know if it was one word or two... I just know it is the proper definition for me right now.

The reason I am chicken shit is that I called the Jury Office this morning to try to get out of jury duty. I said to the lady...

"I got a summons for jury duty but I am a stay at home mom and I don't have child care."

"Is that something you think you could take care of if we postpone your date?"

"Um... yeah, I guess."

See, I missed my out and I didn't even realize it at the time. If I would have said no would that have been enough to get excused? Sounds like it when I play it back in my head. What the fuck is wrong with me? I hate conflict so much that I just assume that I have to go along with whatever this woman says. Clearly I am a people pleaser and I said what I thought she wanted to hear.

So then she says...

"What date would you like?"

"Do you mean I can just pick a date?"

"Absolutely!"

See, she got me again with her enthusiasm. Like who wouldn't want to serve jury duty especially when you get to pick your own date to serve. It's really a win/win.

"Well sign me up for the summer!"

Because child care certainly won't be an issue in the summer... when there's no school... and someone would have to watch the kids all day. Makes perfect sense!

My new date is July 27.

Does the courthouse have central air?

No comments: