Saturday, October 31, 2009

Halloween 2009

So it's Halloween night, Nick and Layla went trick-or-treating and Gage and I went to see a movie. This was not Gage's first choice...AT ALL! You see, the same kid I've been raving about for the last couple of months has let his grades drop to an unacceptable level therefore he's the big "G"...grounded.

Now let me tell you this, I remember when my parents grounded me and, of course, I only thought of how that affected me. Like, they hate me, they don't care if they ruin my social life, they like it when I suffer. Little did I know that it's probably harder for the parents than the kids. I HATE it when Gage is grounded for a multitude of reasons. I don't want him to miss all the parties. I don't want him to sulk around the house all day. I don't want to hear how shitty I am as a mother because I just don't care about him. The guilt trips work on me damnit. I am a sucker and I always give in. He knows that if just asks 500 more times I will finally yell "FINE!" and he'll get his way.

Not this time. Guess who stood her ground? Guess who never raised her voice? Guess who had a thoughtful discussion? Oh yeah baby...that's me! He tried to ask a few times if I would give in because "it is a special occasion you know" and "this is the last year that I'll EVER be able to go trick-or-treating you know" but I calmly said no every time he asked and guess what? He stopped asking.

So here we are. He's spending Halloween night with his mother (oh torture of tortures) and I think he'll survive.

I think we both will.

And Layla, who has had a raging fever all week, finally registered at good ol' 98.6. It's about freaking time! She was a witch but her hat kept falling off so she looked more like a zombie and rolled with that instead.

I think she's a fantastic zombie!

1 comment:

SJT said...

Looks like she's been sick for a week or so. heh heh...how was the movie?