So I guess I'm pretty selfish. I think it's totally okay to be selfish. Maybe not all the time but, ya know, a little is okay. I will now tell you a story where I may come off as selfish. Probably a little manipulative. But in the end....everybody wins so it's all good. Right?
We have been in this house for 8 1/2 years. This is important to know.
Now I need to tell you a little about our old house.
One day at our old house Gage saw that I was laying in a chair and being that I was 8 months pregnant with a huge belly, I couldn't see what he was doing on the floor. I was exhausted....preggers. I wasn't paying attention....again, preggers. Gage came to me and asked if he could color on the floor. Of course I answered yes. Soon after, Nick got home from work and the first thing out of his mouth is "DO YOU SEE WHAT HE'S DOING???" I reply "Isn't he coloring?" To which he says "WHY DON'T YOU SIT UP AND SEE!"
Okay, so remember how I said I was pregnant and I had a huge belly? Well, it's very important in this story because HELLO! When the kid asked if he could color on the floor I certainly didn't think he meant on the actual floor. Like on the carpet. With a Sharpie. The very permanent kind. Oops. I was laying down. I couldn't see over my belly. A strong defense that holds up to this day.
Anyway, nobody told Crash that we ripped up the carpet and put in hardwood floors. (Sharpie is super permanent. Again, oops.)
After the floors were in and we let him in for the first time he came running in the door and slid straight across the room and smacked right into a wall. He was expecting the old carpet, not the new, shiny, smooth floors. From that day on he had a serious fear of hard floors and refused to walk on them.
Back to this house.
This house had carpet. Ugly, gross, dirty, stinky carpet. I kept telling Nick I wanted to get rid of it and he kept saying no. Not yet. Well, I guess I was selfish and didn't want to wait because one day when he was at work I ripped up all the carpet. The floors looked even shittier than the carpet but whatever.
Enter Crash. Forgot about the poor thing and his fear of hard floors. That meant he stayed in ONE spot when he came in the house. He would curl up on one tiny little spot of the rug in the dining room. Not the kitchen, not the living room, God forbid he should go downstairs. Just that one little spot.
You all know Crash passed away last year and now we have Georgie. While Crash was here, even though the floors looked crappy they pretty much stayed the same the entire time. Once Georgie, who is not afraid of hardwood floors, came around it has been a completely different story. She leaves big water spots all over, she makes it filthy and wet and grimy and now the floors look 10 times worse than before.
If you saw them before you wouldn't think it was possible for them to look worse but good lord they do.
So the other day I was trying to clean the floors and ended up getting out the sand paper and.... well, let's just say that we are renting a sander in the morning and plan to spend the weekend sanding and refinishing the floors.
I wasn't trying to be manipulative but alas....
In the end we ALL win.
1 comment:
I taught you well.
Post a Comment